Thursday, January 11, 2018

Monday wear chronicles 2018 - part 1

Esha's on the hunt for Monday wear again...
Monday wear chronicles 2018 - part 1

Hello again!  Esha here and I need Monday wear…Trinidad Carnival is less than 1 month away – eek!  I really meant not to leave it until the last minute.  Truthfully, chances are if I don’t get it started before Thanksgiving, then it won’t get done until the New year.  AND on top of all of that, it’s a short Carnival season…I have to get cracking.  Let me bring you up to speed; heeere we go!

The inspiration
I'm a BIG Project Runway fan since one of my many talents is sewing.  If you followed my blog last year about my 2017 Monday wear, then you already knew that!  [Side note – I promise to take pictures of me in my completed Monday wear this year].  It completely slipped my mind last year and several of you asked for pictures J

One of the competitors in the latest Project Runway season was Kenya Freeman.  Hailing from Atlanta, she is a truly talented designer.  The creation pictured below gave me life!!  I loved the fit, the color and just everything about this outfit.  That’s when the wheels started turning about my 2018 Monday wear.
Kenya Freeman (left) and her creation that inspired my 2018 Monday wear
I was also inspired by the Ebony Fashion Fair exhibit at the NC Museum of Art that my dear friend took me to last year.  I’m sharing some photos below of the pieces that really got me thinking!

I especially loved the back of this gown.  It reminded me of a waterfall!

The detail on this gown is probably a little outside of my skill level #futuregoals

LOVE the detail on this gown.  It was done completely in leather.

If you substituted the fur for another lightweight material, this could probably be Monday wear :)

Beautiful beaded appliques...nuff said

This was so inspirational to me!

This is what I found in my stash!
So pulling all of that together, I knew I wanted blue to be a color in the final outfit, but then I didn’t want to spend money on any more fabric since one of my things to do this year is to sew through my fabric stash…and yes, I have a sizable fabric stash!

I recently got some more African fabric through a good friend of mine in Ghana and when I “found” it in my stash, I knew it was the one.  See it to the right with some trim options...

Digging a little bit more, I found a few options to use as trim AND then I remembered I still had some fringe left over from last year.  I added a long, drapey fringe in a complementary color to my frontline costume last year and I still had quite a bit left over (pictured at the top left).  Yes!  It was all coming together.

So I'll be making a crop top with the fringe at the bottom and possibly some more trim sewn at the top of the fringe to make it look pretty.  I’ll probably layer a couple of trim options on the finished top to see what looks nice.

Stay tuned for the next installment…will I finish it before Carnival??  I hope so…

Til de next lime,


See the fringe on the bottom half my 2017 frontline costume??  :)













Esha


P.S.: A new Carnival Experience is still in the works!  We'll be launching it next week so stay tuned...


Call us at (919) 697-8772

You may also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! We appreciate your feedback.