Monday, January 14, 2019

Tobago travel during the holidays! (part 2)


Esha continues her Tobago travel adventures with this little guy!
Tobago travel during the holidays! (part 2)

Happy new year!  It’s your girl, Esha here and now that I’m back in the US (sigh), I’m settling down to share part 2 of our Tobago holiday with you.  In case you missed part 1, click here.

During the second part of our Tobago visit, Tarik and I got the chance to visit a couple more spots off the beaten path, I actually got to do a little shopping (yay!) and of course, we had even more delicious food!  Here we go!


More beautiful sights
I shot another beach video for you.  The video below is shot at Canoe Bay, which is located on the southeast side of Tobago (the Atlantic side).  However, although this beach is on the Atlantic side, the waves are really gentle and the water is fantastic.  There are apartments located here, although I wouldn't personally use them.  In any case, there are 2 more really unique things about Canoe Bay that I personally liked. 

Firstly, the ocean floor is really shallow, which is perfect for kids and non-swimmers (like me)!  In the video, I point out other beach visitors way out in the water – standing – because it’s so shallow.
Secondly, Canoe Bay is located on a lovely property that has lots of shaded space for a picnic and room to lounge with your friends.  Bring your blanket, food and cooler with drinks and it’s the perfect beach lime! 


Hubby had a couple of opportunities to put his scuba certification to good use by visiting the Blue Waters Inn Dive'n Shop.  I love visiting Blue Waters in Speyside - it's so serene and peaceful, the food at the onsite restaurant is really good and if you're into water sports of any kind, you can get your fix here!  Tobago is home to the 2nd largest brain coral in the world and if you're a diver, the Japanese Gardens is a must see.  Here's a super short clip of the seaside at Blue Waters Inn.  Could you imagine waking up to this every ?  *sigh*...


Shopping
I didn’t get to do a lot of shopping while in Tobago (note to self – have to do something about that the next time I’m there) however, I did get to check out 2 really special stores.
  1. Time to Wine: Wines and Spirits.  In all of the years that I’ve been visiting Tobago, I’ve been meaning to check out this little wine store located in Shirvan Plaza.  I’m glad I finally got the opportunity to.  I got the chance to talk with the owner, Joannah and she is delightful.  I also picked up a bottle of Hungarian wine, which I’d never had before and it was delicious!  Hubby picked up some red wine and a few of the locally made chocolate bars.  Luckily, he shared one with me!  The taste of the chocolate was out of this world – I must find out how to get some more…Time to Wine also hosts private events like wine tastings and small parties which you can have catered.  The store is thoughtfully decorated with comfy chairs and a carefully curated wine and spirits selection.
  2. Anthea’s Treasure Trove.  I have been a bit of a skin care product junkie!  However, I have gotten this impulse under control and only buy more products when I’m completely out of another.  And wouldn’t luck have it, I was completely out of fancy soap.  I’m a big fan of natural skin care products so when I noticed Anthea’s sign that said natural skin care products at Store Bay, I had to check it out!  And I’m glad that I did.  Anthea’s creates soap, lotions, lip balms and other skin care products that have all-natural ingredients, many of which are local (think sorrel, avocados, chocolate, etc.)  They aren’t artificially fragranced and have no preservatives.  I purchased a few soaps and a lip balm and am loving them so far!
Even more delicious food!
During the 2nd part of our trip, I think we had the best food.  We were lucky to visit Makara in Buccoo, a fishing village located on the southern part of Tobago.  We took in a gorgeous sunset and the food was life changing!  Hubby had the mahi mahi and I had the shrimp creole.  Both dishes were delicious, however between you and I, I think I had the better dish!  I have never tasted shrimp creole like this.  The shrimp were bathed in a rich tomato-based sauce that I just wanted to keep eating.  Underneath the sauce were creamy grits that tasted like they came out of an American woman’s southern kitchen (no easy feat, since I’ve tried to cook grits several times and they tasted NOTHING like this)!  We also had the chance to chat with the owner, who was visiting while we were there – very cool.  The service was excellent and we felt very well taken care of.

My drink at Makara - the Makara soucoyant (soo-coo-yah).  So spicy and so good!

My dinner - shrimp creole.  A life-changing tomato based sauce with the creamiest grits EVER!
We also took my mom out to dinner at the Seahorse Inn and Restaurant located in Grafton, right on the beach.  After enjoying another beautiful sunset, we chowed down.  Hubby had the lamb, my mom had the tuna and I had the swordfish.  All 3 were really good.  Although the service was not as good as Makara, the outdoor dining experience was wonderful.


My mom's view...
By the way, in case I didn't mention it, my mom lives on the gorgeous island of Tobago.  Here's the view outside of her apartment...yes, she gets to see this everyday!

Of course, I’m feeling nostalgic as I write this.  I truly enjoyed our Tobago travel adventure, especially now that I’m back in the North Carolina cold!  But, my memories will keep me warm and smiling.  I’ll also be back there soon enough with Trinidad Carnival around the corner…



Another shot of what my mom sees everyday!

Over to you:  have you taken our survey yet?  What are you waiting for?  We’d like to hear your thoughts about travel!  Click here to take the survey – it closes on Jan 20th.










Next up: it’s all about Monday wear since we’re less than 60 days from Trinidad Carnival.  This year, I’m not only sharing the Monday wear that I’m creating for myself, but also what I’m creating for my Ultimate Trinidad Carnival clients!  Sign up for our mailing list to make sure you don’t miss my blogs about it over the next few weeks - click here.

Thanks for reading!

Til de next lime,
Esha

About Esha: 
As an event planner with over 20 years of experience (whose been to 5 out of the 7 continents), Esha's helped professional women who don't have the time, energy, or resources to plan their own vacations so they can travel and enjoy unique, life-changing Caribbean experiences. Click the links below to learn more!


Call us at (919) 697-8772

You may also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! We appreciate your feedback.